Carpets, if properly cleaned and maintained, will last twice as long as they generally do. Learn the best ways to keep your carpet looking new and fresh for years to come. Many pet owners admit it is challenging to keep up with the additional cleaning requirements imposed by their dogs and/or cats.
The cleaning duties seem to keep piling up, from emergency spills to dirty paw prints and pet hair. And no room in your house is subjected to pet attacks as frequently as your carpets. So here are our effective home carpet cleaning tips to keep your carpet fresh and glowing, as if it is a new one.
1.Using an Iron to Remove Stains
There are numerous schools of thought on the subject of carpet cleaning. The one we are showing you today is a three-step procedure.
- To begin, vacuum the affected area to remove any hard particles and allow you to concentrate just on the stains at hand.
- Apply a solution of water & vinegar (3:1) to the affected areas. Allow this combination to soak into the soiled fabric for a few minutes.
- Then lay a cloth over the discolored spot and use a warm iron to remove it. The stain is transmitted into the towel as a result of the pressure and heat, similar to a reverse temporary water tattoo.
2. Use Vinegar
A word of warning: most pet-friendly carpet cleaning products sold in stores include a variety of hazardous chemicals. You, your family, your pet, and the environment are all at risk from these toxins. Making your cleaning solutions using the DIY style is a much safer (and much more cost-effective!) way to go about carpet cleaning!
To do so, make sure you have the following items:
- Baking soda with white vinegar
- Essential oils of your choice, clean towels (for the disinfecting effect as well as the smell)
- A vacuum cleaner with all of the necessary features
3. Management of Wet Mess
You can use the following items to deal with any type of wet mess:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. baking soda
- A bottle for spraying
- A rag, towel, or fabric that is clean
- A vacuum cleaner
Fill your spray bottle halfway with water and vinegar, then grab your rag and walk over to the area.
4. Solid Mess Management
You will get the best results if you use the following ingredients to clean a solid mess:
- 2 tbsp. bicarbonate of soda
- A knife for putting putty
- A vacuum cleaner
Although you may potentially use a towel to scoop a solid mess, it is not suggested since it can easily push and smear the mess into the carpet, making it much more challenging to deal with. Instead, use a putty knife and carefully sink the edge into the carpet before scooping the debris into your dustpan.
More Helpful Tips
Here are some additional tips to help you keep your carpet fresh and clean:
- Use baking soda for extracting oil and dirt from the carpet
- Use rubbing alcohol for stubborn stains
- Keep your pets’ paws clean
- Use shaving cream to remove normal dirt stains
- Place your carpets strategically
- Wash and groom your pets regularly to avoid messing your carpets with dirt